Saturday 1 December 2012

Crying


I saw a girl on the bus today in the morning, no older than 6, but she looked like she was 4, due to her illness. She had leukaemia and I was so heartbroken, am heartbroken. I literally couldn’t think anymore. All I wanted to do was cry. I did cry.
I looked over to her parents and could see pain and heartache as they looked upon their daughter. I just had this sudden uncontrollable urge to scream. I could see 3 individuals all in pain and suffering. One little girl, in her purple floral jumper and matching bandana covering her hairless head. The other two who feel helpless because they cannot help the one they love the most in the whole world, but not only that they must watch her suffer too. (For too long people who are the family of the sufferers also suffer and more needs to be done to support them) I wanted to help the girl and her parents, but I also felt helpless. I wanted to tell her parents that I understand their pain but I couldn't  because how could I even comprehend what they could be possibly going through. I don’t have any children so I don’t understand what it must be like to see the beauty you bought into the world be lifeless and alive at the same time.
I wish that humans give up this constant materialistic obsession in exchange for something more powerful then life itself: a glance; something that can keep someone going when they wake up in the morning, a smile; something that has meaning more than words can describe and something words can’t express, a smile so powerful and easy; something that makes an upset woman happy and a dying man think there’s still greatness in man. All of this is down to love.
If we at least smiled and showed some love to the ones we do love, just an expression of something can make someone’s day. If everyone abided by this rule the whole world will be in peace and love. Prosperity would prevail and inequality will fall. Think, is this going to be the last time you see your mother… father… wife… husband… daughter… son… friend…
Think of the girl with leukaemia and her parents. They may not know when she will die, but they expect her to. This expectation kills them from within, yet they are making the bus journey to Oxford Street, as they get off on the last stop, in order to make the most of their daughter’s life, so she can die smiling, happy and knowing that she was loved. This is love.
Why do we wait to show love until someone leaves this world? Why couldn’t we just love everyone? Make everyone smile? Get rid of this self-seeking and selfishness from within, and change it to a soft, loving, selfless nature. Because surely a human is not a human if he doesn't feel pain, when another is in pain. Regardless of race, religion, political ideology, sex and colour.
I pray that we may as humans prosper to be better than animals and find a cure to cancer and all illnesses to stop human suffering, and to stop the suffering of that little girl in purple and her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment